Introduction To Installing A New Lawn. Installing a new lawn for many can be a back breaking task and many questions arise when looking out onto your yard area to view an empty plot or an overgrow lawn area which has been neglected to the point of no return. This short article will attempt to answer a few of the many questions I have answered from homeowners about installing a new lawn from sod.
Do I Must Remove the Old Lawn. Yes, You have to eliminate the old lawn. Removing the old lawn will make sure that whenever you plant the new lawn the roots can penetrate through the old green layer. Typically a lawn removal must be to a depth of 2-3 inches, you need to take into account the grade in which your yard currently sits and also the level of soil that you must install for the new lawn. In some special cases where you might put in a layer of the latest soil without being above grade, you could leave the present lawn in place. New lawns will need the absolute minimum depth of three inches of a well draining soil, abundant in nutrients. Most lawn removals could be completed by using sod cutter, utilizing a bobcat and an excavator in hard to access yards can be a hazard and might create more work than initially planned.
Soil For That New Lawn. Soil for your new lawn is extremely important to plant health and good growing conditions. Your brand new lawn will see much better growth over time if a quality top soil is installed. Oftentimes the better expensive the soil, the greater quality.
The ideal lawn needs to be constructed with at least 3″ of any well draining topsoil. The soil itself should contain at least 70% sand as well as the sub grade should be self draining. Soils that have high volumes of wood chips and organic matter should be avoided. Soils that contain paper recycling waste and also have a strong odor ought to be avoided too. In most cases topsoil today is created from compost, be sure to ask your supplier the contents of the soil and make sure the composting process is done. A soil analysis with a neutral ph balance needs to be requested from your supplier.
Type of Sod or Seed. Sod or also termed as turf is definitely the preferred method of installing a new lawn. Sod can be installed year round and turf farms are available to supply year round.
The wide range of grass seed or sod to utilize is determined by:
1. Using your lawn area. This can include the volume of traffic that your lawn area is exposed to, including pets and children.
2. The quantity of sunlight that your lawn area receives. Full sunlight areas should receive at the very least 70% in the daily sunlight.
3. The seasonal temperatures within your climate.
Typically turf that comes from the sod farm or supplier will carry a variety of sod that is ideal for residential usages. Sod farms will grow kinds of grasses that fair well for new lawns with heavy traffic and shade. In some instances specialty grasses are for sale to low maintenance. Make sure you ask…
The Best Way To Install the Sod. Installing a new lawn may be completed with these easy steps:
1. Lay the turf out in a brickwork fashion, meaning stagger the rolls therefore the seams do not match at the top of the sod rolls. Start in a straight line.
2. Butt all edges together tightly. Doing a little extra work and spending a little bit more time pulling the joints of the turf rolls together will ensure the grass covers all the soil. If you leave gaps in between the turf rolls, weeds may grow inside the bare patches of soil. Sod installation could be a difficult task in the event you don’t spend the time to get it done properly.
3. Cut all overlapping pieces into place having a sharp knife. You may niugpu the scraps to complete other bare patches. Sod seams will grow together with time. There is no need to waste any other turf pieces.
4. Water the sod as you install. Usually do not allow the turf dry at any time. When the sod is able to dry, shrinkage may occur on the seams and also the turf may die. Installing sod on a hot day may require frequent watering so be sure you are prepared beforehand.
5. Roll the new lawn after you complete laying turf. Installing a new lawn is a very rewarding task and offers instant beautification to any property.